Thursday, May 16, 2013

TOP Tracks #16 - "Revived Power"





As I judge these songs, and as I do these write ups, I'm constantly listening to the music. I've had to listen to all these songs - and many dozens of others - lots and lots of times for this project. "The Opened Way" and "Revived Power" are the only songs that I've listened to during this process that actually make me wish I was playing the game and not working on my blog. Just hearing the music makes me yearn to relive that adventure with Wander and Agro. Now that I have the Playstation 3 version of the game, it's become almost a yearly ritual for me to work my way through the game. It really doesn't get old or boring, because it's so beautiful and so emotional - and each battle is so unique.

I hate to cop-out like this, but honestly what more can I say about this game that I haven't already said? I would talk about how this song feels like the final moments before victory, how it feels like you're on-top-of-the-world. That would be accurate, but my brother has that covered. If you want to know how I feel about this game, or its music, I've talked it up quite a bit in the last twelve months. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The worst part of this game is that it ends, and Team Ico still hasn't come out with "The Last Guardian" which is still in limbo.

Past Colossus Articles
TOP Track #26 - "The Opened Way" 
The First Colossus, Valus the Minotaur

- TOP
@TOPGamingBlog 




As I stated earlier, I never gave Shadow of the Colossus a fair chance. A close friend of mine said it was probably the best game he played on the Playstation 2, but I never even bothered back then. I did watch him take down one colossus, and I was quite impressed with my initial observation. When the dramatic music changed as Wander scaled the towering monster, I got goosebumps. When he was high enough on the stone giant, "Revived Power" kicked in. I loved it! Never before had I heard a soundtrack transition so smoothly. Even when the player falls, the music segues flawlessly back to the slower sounds. I'm surprised more games haven't followed suit since its release. Unfortunately, that brief glimpse of the game was the last I'd see (and hear) for a long time.

"Revived Power" is such an appropriate name for this track. I'm ont sure what Kow Otani was referring to when he came up with the title. It might indicate a hero getting his second wind in the heat of battle; it might allude to the underlying story itself. I'll avoid any spoilers, though, for any out there hoping to get your hands on this game. It's interesting to hear the song independent of the game. When you listen to it from beginning to end, it sounds like a grand finale. It conjures up images of a battlefield, with friend against foe, ready to make a final stand. It's an inspirational tune, and one I wouldn't mind listening to right before I had to take up arms.

Side note: Our father doesn't think much of video games. I don't believe he thinks they serve much purpose outside of distraction. As TOP mentioned earlier in regards to Shadow of the Colossus as a piece of art, I'd be curious what our father thought of this game. At the very least, I'd love his opinion of the soundtrack. He's a fan of classical and orchestral music. I think this would be up his alley. Perhaps some research is in order...

- Deez
@Deezer509




Derivative Tracks

"Revived Power / Frozen Power (Frozen Remix)" - http://youtu.be/6TzkspP87oA

"Revived Power" (Piano, Synthesia) - http://youtu.be/0aqW2W-smno

No comments:

Post a Comment