Wednesday, May 29, 2013

TOP Track #3 - "Storm Eagle's Stage"





Here we go! Last three days of Music May!

The Bronze Medal TOP Track goes to "Storm Eagle's Stage!"

This song is an instant hit. Storm Eagle's Stage was the first I attempted when I fired up Mega Man X - which I was super excited to play, by the way. I remember the stage loading up and this music - o! this music. Seriously, what a great way to start a game. It's too bad the rest of the X series couldn't follow the momentum set by this game, by this song! I actually wouldn't have predicted back in the early days that "Storm Eagle" would make it into the TOP Three but once it was finalized, I wasn't particularly surprised. I felt a real sense of "I should have known."

Because of what this game means to me and my brother, and because of what this song means to this game, the PowerGlove version of this song (listed below) is my current ringtone for Deez. He doesn't call often, but when he does I don't answer the first time cause I don't want to interrupt the song. True story.

- TOP
@TOPGamingBlog



Sometimes, you have to listen to a song multiple times before you like it. An album will grow on you over time, and maybe even one of your all-time favorites was only "meh" when it first hit your ears. For me, this was not one of those songs. I fell in love with Storm Eagle's theme the instant I heard it. I was (enviously) watching TOP play what would eventually become my second favorite game of all time, and X's tear through the airport was one of the coolest things I'd seen in a video game at the time. I still listen to this song. When I replay through MMX, I always let out a loud "F--- YEAH!" at the beginning of Storm Eagle's stage. When it comes up on my GrooveShark playlist at work, I have to do everything in my power not to drop what I'm doing and start busting heads.

Mega Man X was a rarity in terms of music for the X series. There are a couple other tracks I enjoy, like Boomer Kuwanger's stage and Spark Mandrill's stage. Other than that, it's pretty drab for the rest of the series. There's one song in Mega Man X 3 that's ok ("Blast Hornet's Stage") but it's few and far between. I'm sure there are a lot of fans out there that may disagree with me, but I really don't recall anything memorable in the later X titles. Shout out to readers to let me know if there are any memorable tracks that I'm unaware of! "Storm Eagle's Stage" stands out in the first game, and subsequently the entire series. It's a timeless classic. 

- Deez
@Deezer509

2 comments:

  1. hey, if you still want to know what a kuwanger is... (as i always did until recently too):

    "the name seems to be a play on words: Kuwagata is a japanese word meaning stag beetle. It's feasible that they combined "kuwagata" and "boomerang(er)" to come up with "Boomer Kuwanger", which then led to confused translators in America."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niko! That is awesome!! Thank you so much, the mystery is finally solved.

      Delete