Saturday, May 11, 2013

TOP Track #21 - "Clash on the Big Bridge"





This is my favorite "Final Fantasy" battle theme of all time. The easily identifiable opening is the recurring "Prelude" song in most "Final Fantasy" titles sped up to hyper-speed. It also carries the bass-line established in most "Final Fantasy" battle themes since the very first game. I also like the imagery of the title. This isn't some generic name, like many previous games used such as "Battle Theme 2" or "Boss Battle Theme" but a very descriptive title. The thought of running into a powerful enemy in a confined space, barring passage, is one that really invokes a sense of determination which is matched in the music. 

I also love Gilgamesh, whose theme song this is. "Clash on the Big Bridge" only plays during fights with Gilgamesh, in Final Fantasy V and beyond. Gilgamesh is one of the few recurring characters in the entire franchise, and recurring characters is something I absolutely love. Bringing back bosses from previous titles is something I've wished Square Enix would do with the franchise for a long time, partially based on how exciting it is to fight Gilgamesh in Final Fantasy XII (on a big bridge, with a re-arrangement of this song). I really think bringing back old villains as optional fights is something that would really pull people into their online games as well, Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV

- TOP
@TOPGamingBlog



I'm not exactly sure what to say about "Clash on the Big Bridge." I mean, it has an awesome name, that's for sure. But having never played Final Fantasy V, or any "Final Fantasy" title with this song, I don't have a real emotional attachment to it. The first time I heard the song was on the debut, self-titled Black Mages album. Freakin' rad! I've been a fan of the song ever since. There are some really good remixes (listed below) and it's funny how I can recognize "Clash of the Big Bridge" in the first 5 seconds of the track starting.

There is one funny note I have about the quality of the track. TOP and I have been using a Google Drive document to keep track of all our potential songs, and each title has links so we could listen to it while making judgments on it. I told him that his "Clash on the Big Bridge" link led to a remix, and that I couldn't find the original Super Famicom version. Lo and behold, I was wrong. The original song from the soundtrack is so good that I thought it was a later version. It really pushed the Super Famicom sound system to its limits. Silly me!

- Deez
@Deezer509



Derivative Tracks





S.S.H. Remix - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM16WSuHVNY

Neo Excalipur Remix (Unkown Artist) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5reCJiCfp-s

No comments:

Post a Comment