Wednesday, May 22, 2013

TOP Track #10 - "Stickerbush Symphony"





We are now in the TOP Ten! 

This is a unique song in our countdown for a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm not a big fan of Donkey Kong Country 2 and so I probably wouldn't have scoured its soundtrack looking for this song, but I do remember it. It really stuck out. When Deez pitched it, I realized I'd been looking for it in the wrong place, namely the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. My fond memories of this song were mixed up with my fond memories of the original DKC. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed DKC2 for all the same reasons, but I really missed that big ape. Donkey Kong and Diddy are the original duo and I really can't accept any imitations or substitutions. I played DKC2 and enjoyed it alongside my brother (who loves it tremendously) but for me it didn't hold that same magical appeal. 

This song is also interesting because it's not really an epic track. It's not some final boss battle, or sweet catchy tune. It doesn't fill me with a zest for all things awesome, or make me feel like I'm on top of the world. It's just a really calming, relaxing song tucked in a game I'm not particularly fond of on stages of the game I barely remember. It is one of our most obscure pieces of music, and to think it made it all the way into the TOP Ten is quite remarkable. Deez has talked quite a lot about songs in this list that really get him pumped up, but this is definitely one that brings me back down. It mellows me out. I feel like I'm drifting on a slow river in a gentle breeze. It's a wonderful piece of music and stands out in our countdown for its contrast to the other, more upbeat and invigorating pieces of music.

- TOP
@TOPGamingBlog



I loved Donkey Kong Country 2 almost as much as its predecessor, and I played it twice as much. It was another instant classic, despite the replacement of Donkey Kong with Dixie Kong. The addition of the Hero Coins and the Lost World meant I would return to this game again and again. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I found Diddy's Kong Quest to be noticeably harder than the original. One level comes to mind: Bramble Blast. Tis is the first stage to feature David Wise's "Stickerbush Symphony." 

The soothing notes of this song lulled me into a real false sense of security. It's the type of melody that a ranging child would fall asleep to. I'm not sure why Wise chose such a soothing melody for a level teeming with giant spikes and aggressive hornets, but I love it. I didn't even mind dying in these stages! I can't remember, but I think there are only two levels that play "Stickerbush Symphony" and each one is a real treat. This is naother one of those songs that I listen to at work when I need to calm myself down, and it's easily my favorite piece from David Wise.

All this time, I've thought it was "Stickerbrush" not "Stickerbush" and I'm still a bit unclear on the details.

- Deez
@Deezer509



Derivative Tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment