Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TOP Track #11 - "Gang-Plank Galleon"





Donkey Kong Country is more my brother's thing than mine, but with that said, I am a great fan of the original game. I loved the characters, the setting, and especially the music. It is one of the great platforming games of its age. I don't think I have any memory of Donkey Kong Country or its sequels that don't include my brother either playing along-side me, tag-teaming maps for great efficiency, or watching by my side. That's actually quite rare, when I think about it. So many games I played on my own and handed down to him with the TOP seal of approval, rather than a game we explored together as a team. 

This song is really the icing on the cake of a great game. It took me a quite a few attempts to beat King K. Rool, so I got to listen to this song quite a few times until I got down all his little patterns. It's really unconventional for a boss fight, but it really blends the spirit of the game, and the themes of the soundtrack into a really catchy tune. I think what obviously stands out is the nautical, pirate opening which swiftly transitions into the jungle beats that have been constant throughout the Donkey Kong Country experience. It all comes together really well. It's honestly the best piece of music on a soundtrack that is entirely comprised of extremely good music. Donkey Kong Country remains my favorite in the franchise, and has yet to be outshone in quality.

- TOP
@TOPGamingBlog



I remember Christmas '94 quite vividly. I was 7 years old and it was the best Christmas ever. My mom had spoiled me rotten with everything I requested on my Christmas list. Now, I can only remember what #1 and #2 were on that list: a White Ranger action figure, and Donkey Kong Country for SNES. TOP and I popped that game in and must have played through three or four worlds before stopping. The game that revived Donkey Kong's image as a Nintendo icon (and turned him from villain to hero) remains one of my all-time favorites. Till the day I die, I have an open offer for anyone who wants to throw money down on the "Two Player Challenge" mode. 

"Gang-Plank Galleon" is the perfect mix of pirate whimsy and interspecies warfare. A battle between a gorilla and a crocodile deserves nothing less, am I right? In my book, David Wise is second only to Mitsuda Yasunori, beating out even the great Uematsu Nobuo. In the pantheon of video game composers, I dub him Poseidon. He can make soothing, trance inducing tracks that put you at ease. He also creates intense, heavy metal melodies that put you at the edge of your seat. This song blends both sounds together for an unforgettable finale to the game.

- Deez
@Deezer509




Derivative Tracks

King K Rool - Donkey Kong Country by Nintendo on Grooveshark

Galleon Rumble - http://youtu.be/QerQylSRNQk

Gang-Plank Galleon (Metal) - http://youtu.be/kMnxgMR4MSw

iLuvKats89 Remix - http://youtu.be/d4REt7iz_vA

No comments:

Post a Comment