Friday, January 4, 2013

Week in Review - 1/4/2013

PC
Eco City!
I picked up this game for Christmas. I had my eye on it since it launched on Steam Nov, 2011, but I wasn’t sure if I’d like it despite heavy research. It really took a hands-on experience to realize how much I do like the game. The game is a mix of Command & Conquer, Sim City and a dash of Civilization. Earth is largely underwater in the year 2070 and you vie for control of islands across the map. There is heavy emphasis on infrastructure in order to prevail.


My Humble Beginnings!
I was looking for a free MMO to play when I found Mabinogi. I was skeptical at first, but it was free so I downloaded it. I’m really enamoured with this game despite its simple graphics. I like the anime style, but its the character development that truly shines. Your character is made up of skills rather than levels. If you want to be a warrior, you train the skills associated with warrior. You could also choose to be a farmer, or a carpenter. This game is a mix of what Final Fantasy XIV should have been (with much worse graphics) and Harest Moon. It’s very enjoyable and free!


I am partial to White & Green.
I played the original Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBox 360 a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, even though the deck building was extremely limited. The pre-made decks were decent and unlocking all the additional cards was addicting. No less so in the sequel, or 2012 version. The decks are all new and it has some additional features. If you like Magic: The Gathering or enjoyed the original game then this is a fun addition to the classic gameplay.


Shailud oversees Hulud Forge!
My addiction to Minecraft has dwindled (somewhat) but my thirst for sandbox adventure burns strong. I’m dying to get my hands on Starbound, but in the meantime I picked up a copy of Terraria for my wife. She was skeptical at first, but now we’re happily building a new life together on a randomly generated Terraria world. She has built a candy-cane village while I worked on a forge and a deep mine. Our current plans include a lumber mill and tree farm.


  • Terraria - "The Legend of Red Cloud"
Red prepares for the battles ahead.
I thought this deserved its own entry. “The Legend of Red Cloud” is a fan made adventure map for Terraria. There is no building, so it plays more like Metroid or Castlevania. You create and play the character “Red Cloud” as he sets off on an adventure to avenge his family. The attention to detail is unbelievable. I highly recommend anyone who loves side-scrolling action adventure games and owns a legitimate copy of Terraria download this adventure map and play it.




Playstation 3



Take an arrow to the knee, Demon!
This will be my third attempt to conquer this game. If you’ve heard anything about this game, you’ve probably heard that it is extremely difficult. The crafting system in “Legend of Red Cloud” is based on Dark Souls (successor to Demon’s Souls) and so it got me thinking about this game again and how I’ve left it unfinished twice before. I’ve heard New Game + is even more challenging, but I have to beat it once to gain access to that challenge. I’ll let you know how this current attempt goes.



-TOP
@TOPGamingBlog


Related Links

No comments:

Post a Comment