Friday, October 15, 2021

Week in Review - 10/15/2021

 


I first noticed this game roughly a year ago and it looked real promising. It launched this past week and looking at it critically, I really wasn't sure if I'd like it. It has tons of potential, but it is also a very slow paced game without any hand-holding. You are expected (I believe) to just "live your life" in this little hand-drawn world. Doing whatever small jobs or tasks you set yourself to. It's not story driven, but role-play driven. You make your character the person you want him to be in this little world. As it turns out, I really enjoy it. 


My copy of Yakuza: Like a Dragon is in moving limbo sadly - currently stuck in Chicago waiting for a train to bring it closer to Maryland. As a result, I've turned my attention to the next entry in the Yakuza franchise which is Lost Judgment. This is the second game in the new "Judgment" series and it has been a real delight - improving on its predecessor in every single way so far. Combat is amazing. The story is engaging. The old characters are fun and familiar; the new characters are fun and exciting to get to know. 


After years of dancing around it, I decided to try and get into fan-made Pokémon games. I'm told many of them are better than their official inspirations. After years of being largely stagnant and [in my opinion] sadly "too safe" I really wouldn't be surprised to find fans have taken the series above and beyond the confines of what Nintendo and GameFreak have done with the franchise in the last 15 years. So I start where many people argue it all began, Pokémon Brown. I'm not entirely sure if I like it. I will get back to you as I get farther. 




This is an interesting game. It can be frustrating at times, but it's a lot of fun to uncover the mystery of what's going on to poor Selene. Caught in a time-loop, death and restarting is part of the story. It also gives me some serious Metroid vibes because Selene acts and moves the way I expect Samus to move and she's exploring this dark, creepy planet full of hidden terrors and some ancient civilization. The way the rogue-like elements are woven into the story is what keeps the cycles addicting and intriguing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment