Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Lone Wolf


What can I say about Wolf that you haven’t heard somewhere before? My relationship with Wolf has almost always been complicated. We grew up together and were friends when we were young. We spent most weekends and holidays together back then and we were practically inseparable. We spent so much time playing and talking about what kind of Pokémon we’d train when we grew up, it’s crazy to think how far we’d ultimately drift apart. We were like brothers in those early days. The rift began to grow between us when we entered our teens.
It’s safe to say I still don’t completely understand what happened to this day. We just began to see things differently and move in different social circles. The kids around us were getting their first Pokémon and heading off on their Pokémon journeys, but not us. I didn’t have the means to head out with a Pokémon when I was that young. Wolf, however, did have the means to leave on a Pokémon adventure. Wolf had the means to do whatever he wanted, but by that time he wasn’t all that interested  in Pokémon anymore. He was interested in money. We didn’t see eye to eye, and as a result we really didn’t see each other much at all for quite a few years. But over those years a bitterness grew between us.
As I followed those excited youngsters through the streets of Viridian City, there’s no way I could have known I was about to see Wolf again. I would never have even imagined that he was in Kanto. The last I had heard about Wolf was that he was running a small but successful business back home. I believe it was a Pokémon Rental service for people wanting to experience Pokémon battles and training, but without the fuss of leaving home or frankly doing any of the work that comes along with it. When I found out, I was hurt that I hadn’t been invited to help start it up. We grew up dreaming about working with Pokémon, and then he went and started without me. I felt so left behind by my childhood friend that I completely distanced myself from him. Speaking honestly, I may have always been a bit jealous that success came so easily to him and that he took his family’s generous start up money for granted.

I found the mysterious newcomer to town quite near the open field where I caught Nibbles. From a distance I could see him gazing up at Indigo Plateau. I rushed across the field to challenge him. The two city kids were just behind me eager to see a Pokémon battle with their own eyes. When my footfalls came into earshot, the trainer turned around and when I saw the face of my former friend I was completely stunned. My feet faltered to a complete stop. The children behind me almost slammed into my backpack because I stopped so abruptly. The expression on Wolf’s face was also one of surprise, but it quickly melted into a sneer.
“What are you doing here, Fox?” I remember him asking.
“I heard there was a trainer out here. I didn’t know it was you.” I felt my words coming out as a stutter. “I came out here to challenge you.”
“Oh. No.” His tone was sympathetic. “I mean, what are you doing in Kanto?” I felt stupid that I misunderstood him.
“I’m here to start the Sanctuary. You remember my idea, right? I want to start a Pokémon preservation park. I’m still working out the details, but Professor Oak agreed to help me get started.”
“Right. Yeah. I remember.” He laughed a little. “It’s a cute idea, but I thought you’d have given up on that by now.” I remember his tone felt so condescending at the time. I felt flush with anger. He either didn’t notice or didn’t care. Wolf turned to look back up into the mountains. “I’m here to challenge the champion of Indigo Plateau,” he announced smugly.
“I thought you were running some company back home,” I asked through clenched teeth. I didn’t really want to talk about it, but I also didn’t want Wolf to be here right now.
“Yeah. I am.” He spoke without looking at me. “I hired some managers, which gives me a bit more free time. It practically runs itself. So instead I’m here to challenge the Kanto Pokémon League.” He turned back to look me in the eye. I felt he was mocking me when he asked, “Did you say you wanted to challenge me?” He looked as though the thought was delightfully amusing. He looked as though fighting me was beneath him.
I had a newfound conviction in my voice when I answered. “Yeah. I do. Are you ready or do you need a minute to collect yourself?” I took Kiwi’s ball from its holster on my backpack strap.
Wolf looked me straight in the eyes and laughed. “You’re so serious, man. I’m ready. I’ll fight you with the junkémon I just got.” We both tossed out our Pokéballs and both our Pidgeys faced off against one another.

The fight was absolutely nerve wracking. Not only was this my first competitive battle ever, but it was against someone I couldn’t bear to lose against. It was an understatement to say I was determined to win. Not to mention, I simply couldn’t afford to fail. I needed that money I’d get from a victory over Wolf to support myself in the future. Meanwhile, the look on Wolf’s face appeared as if he couldn’t care less.
Kiwi and his Pidgey circled each other overhead sizing each other up. Kiwi dove down into the grass and buffeted some dirt and soil up into his opponents face. I stifled a small smile that some of the dirt and grass found its way into Wolf’s face as well. The attack was a complete success, for both of Wolf’s Pidgey’s next couple attacks missed Kiwi outright. Although Kiwi had the advantage, Kiwi only managed to lightly wound his opponent before it landed a very lucky strike on Kiwi knocking him from the sky and into the grass.
I remember my heart leapt into my throat seeing Kiwi hit so hard. I immediately withdrew him and tossed out Rascal. Wolf’s Pidgey was significantly weakened now and still couldn’t see clearly. Rascal had done most of his training against other Pidgey, so I was confident he would win. He did not disappoint me. Landing a decisive quick attack on Wolf’s Pidgey put the bird completely out of commission. I watched as it fell defeated into the grass and I was flooded with a mixture of emotions. I was elated that I was now winning against my former friend, but I was sad that his Pokémon had gotten so badly hurt in the process. This battle marked the beginning of many conflicting feelings about caring for Pokémon and also battling with them.
Wolf withdrew his fainted Pidgey and tossed out the only other Pokémon he had with him. I was surprised to see him with such a rare Pokémon as Squirtle - one that Professor Oak had promised he would track down for me if I could help him test the Pokédex. Then I remembered Wolf came from a wealthy family. It probably was not that big of a deal to him to have this fairly uncommon Pokémon rounding out his team. Wolf made me so angry, so frustrated. He made it all look so easy. I think Rascal could feel how heated I was, because he was also worked up into a frenzy. After distracting the Squirtle with a series of mesmerizing tail whips, he devastated it with a well placed tackle to its exposed head. Wolf was utterly defeated, but I was still angry.
Wolf laughed as he withdrew his Pokémon. He laughed!
“You’re really worked up over this, huh?” he asked me.
I denied it even though he could see right through me.
“Well, good match. I’ll transfer you the winning credits.” He shrugged. “It was good to see you, Fox. Keep training. Maybe we can have a rematch some time.”
“Don’t you even care?” I demanded as he turned to walk away from me. “You lost! Your Pokémon are completely knocked out.” I honestly have no idea what I wanted from him. I don’t know what he could have said to make me feel better. Even in defeat his arrogance and his self-entitlement defeated my spirit. My grand victory over my rival felt like a complete failure, in part because he didn’t even care.
“Fainting is part of the training process, Fox.” He said nonchalantly. “I can afford to help them heal and get back into the fight. It’s no big deal. Next time I see you, we’ll do it all again.” With that our first encounter in Kanto was over as he casually strolled back into Viridian City. The children rushed up to me to congratulate me. Their happy, smiling faces beaming with pride at their new friend’s victory made me feel just a bit better. But my eyes kept drifting to Wolf’s back as it slowly disappeared into the city.

Current Team:
No Change from Episode 2

No comments:

Post a Comment