Friday, January 11, 2019

All Aboard the S.S. Anne!

My first morning in Vermilion City, I found myself down at the docks pushing my way through the crowds. Vermilion Port was easily the busiest place I’d ever been in my life up to that point. The sheer number of ships and trucks moving goods in and out of the Kanto region was overwhelming. Even still, the S.S. Anne stood out of the crowd as a majestic ocean liner built for luxurious and excessive lifestyles. It’s glorious, gleaming white hull was a beacon you could see almost anywhere in Vermilion City. I’d had my eye on her since I came into town the night before and I had no trouble finding my way to the pier at which she was docked. Getting on to that pier without a ticket or an invitation to the tournament was a trial all its own. I spent most of the morning looking for a way past security.
The story of how I got aboard the S.S. Anne is a story of chance encounters and dumb luck. The first of which was a man fishing off the end of an unused pier. I was attempting to get a better vantage point of the S.S. Anne at the time, but I was also curious about the old fisherman. I sat with him a moment and he showed me how he supported himself just fishing up Pokémon out of the Vermilion Bay. After spending perhaps half an hour watching and listening to his old fish tales, he offered me one of his old rods that he wasn’t too attached to. I was surprised at his generosity and thanked him graciously. He said the old rod wasn’t great at pulling up any big catches, but it was a good starter rod to learn how to handle myself. I was eager to try it out.
There didn’t seem to be any restrictions posted on where you were allowed to fish in Vermilion Port, so I plopped myself down right at the edge of the S.S.Anne pier. I cast my line into the waters and waited. Patiently. For a long time. As I sat there on the edge of the dock, I could hear battles going on the deck above me. I could hear the whoops and cheers of the gathered crowds as local trainers, decadent cruise passengers, and members of the crew fought for fun and money. I knew that as long as there were trainers ready to battle, the registration for this exhibition would be open, but I had to get aboard soon.
There was a tug on the line! A new type of Pokémon battle had begun. It was my strength and determination against that of whatever was on the other end of that line. I struggled for several minutes, worried that this old rod would snap clear in half at the tension on the line. Finally, a red scaled fish Pokémon lurched out of the water and flopped on to the pier. I frowned slightly. It was a Magikarp. I should have known. It was too weak to weaken, so I had Arnold put it to sleep and I carefully tried to get it into a Pokéball. The damn thing casually slapped 4 of my balls into the ocean in its fitful slumber before finally being secured in the 5th ball. I named him Royal, and although he was weak now, I had some big dreams for Royal in the distant future.
I had no idea at the time, but the entire Magikarp episode was being watched by a gentleman nearby. I called out Royal to get a good look at him and size up his potential - which admittedly was limited right now. As I was gazing down at him, a firm hand clasped my shoulder.
“I say, good show, old sport. Good show.”
“Thank you,” I managed to sputter in sudden confusion.
“Oh, I daresay, where are my manners? My name is Reginald and I’m the Chairman of the Pokémon Fan Club. We are headquartered right here in Vermilion City! I have personally collected over 100 Pokémon and I’m very fussy when it comes to Pokémon. I see you are less fussy and I admire your spirit, old sport.” He motioned to Royal. “I could never bother myself with Pokémon like that, but there is something special about you. Come now, join me aboard the S.S. Anne, would you? I can see you are itching to join the tournament. Meanwhile, let me tell you all about my favorite Pokémon, Rapidash. It is the most spectacular and ravishing of all the Pokémon, don’t you agree?”
All I really heard was “join me aboard the S.S. Anne” and I was packing up my belongings as quickly as I could. While Chairman Reginald prattled on and on about Rapidash, my attention was mainly focused on shoving the old rod into my backpack, and making sure my Boulder and Cascade Badges were clearly visible. I wanted everyone to know how far I’d come as we made our way on board the cruise ship.

Once aboard, I listened to Chairmain Reginald talk about Rapidash for what felt like an eternity a polite amount of time considering the great favor he’d just done for me. Eventually I excused myself and I found my way to the registration desk. I showed off my two badges and was put into a mid-level bracket. The tournament was scored on a point system where trainers lost the most points when their Pokémon fainted, and since I was determined not to allow them to faint I was sure to score very highly in the preliminary matches.
All the matches were happening along the promenade deck with spectators above able to look down into most of the arenas that were setup. As I stood along the promenade, it was crowded and difficult to see much, but I managed to push my way toward my first match-up near the aft of the ship. I was going to face off against an older gentlemen who happened to be a passenger aboard the cruise wanting to test his skill against the Kanto trainers. I was nervous, but also excited. He opened with a Growlithe - a Pokémon I’d never seen before. It was obviously a fire-type and so Douglas was the right choice. He needed the battle experience, as well.
Growlithe was faster than I anticipated! He landed a desperate attack on Douglas’s head which nearly incapacitated him. I was shocked. I’d almost lost a Pokémon due to my overconfidence in type match-ups. I switched out Douglas for Rascal Jr. hoping to get the edge in speed. My swap paid off because Rascal Jr. landed a monstrous hyper fang on this Growlithe and knocked it completely out. The crowd went wild at this turn around and I remember how uplifting it made me feel. I couldn’t help from smiling like a fool.
The passenger tossed out another Growlithe who met the same OHKO fate to the power of Rascal Jr. To punctuate just how amazing Rascal’s victory over the Growlithe duo actually was, Rascal Jr. evolved into a Raticate in front of the entire crowd. It generated some hushed awe from the spectators, but I was just ecstatic to see Rascal Jr. grow in power. Rascal and I were victorious in our first match, but there were still several more ahead of us before we’d meet with the captain.

Current Team:
Attacks in Blue are recently learned.

Bill's Storage: Shakespear (Spearow) & Royal (Magikarp)

Old Man Daycare: Charlie (Pidgey)

No comments:

Post a Comment